Preparation as they say is everything, and when it comes to moving house, the more prepared you are, usually the smoother the move becomes. By following our guide below to moving house, the whole process can become a lot less stressful.
4 weeks before the move
- Confirm with us your moving date, costs and other details
- Sort and declutter the house – make sure to get rid of everything you do not need!
- Order packing supplies – start ordering double cardboard boxes, tape, bubble wrap, soft wrapping paper and permanent markers wardrobe boxes (we provide these on move day).
3 weeks before the move
- Consider plants and pets on moving day – talk to us we would happily be of help.
- Start to empty the contents of your freezer
- Check your home insurance – make sure you have cover from the day you move in to your new house.
- Start searching for cheap, broadband and phone deals
- Look for the cheapest energy tariffs.
2 weeks before the move
- Keep on packing and perform a thorough clean – there’s not long left
- Update your address – Schools, milk man, DVLA, CAR, Bank, mobile phones, insurance companies, store cards, local tax office, doctors, dentists, opticians, council tax.
- Register to pay council tax.
- Dispose of any flammables such as petrol.
1 week before the move
- Defrost the freezer.
- Take down pictures, mirrors and curtains.
- Disconnect your cooker, washing machine and dishwasher (Call us if you need help with this).
Relax and let us do all the work but remember to:
- Make a note of all meter readings and keep this somewhere safe.
- Check that all windows are secure and water, gas and electricity supplies are
switched off. Keep kettle out for removals team.